Table of Contents:
|Table of Contents|
The mission of the Archives & Special Collections Department (A&SC) of the Daniel A. Reed Library at the State University of New York at Fredonia is to collect, organize, preserve, provide access to and encourage scholarly engagement with a variety of unique manuscript and archival materials in primary support of the scholarship needs of both the academic community at Fredonia and researchers around the world. The A&SC provides a vital function in enhancing Fredonia’s reputation as a center for excellence in scholarship by working with faculty to integrate the use of unique manuscript and archival materials into the curriculum. To that end, the A&SC, in support of the overall mission of the university, embraces the initiatives to educate, challenge and inspire students, encouraging their development as skilled, connected, creative and responsible global citizens.
Collection Development and Donation Policies
The University Archives collects materials of enduring historical value and certain non-current records that document both the administrative activities of the State University of New York at Fredonia and its overall history. Decisions on collection development in this area are informed by the SUNY Records Retention and Disposition Schedule, as well as by the input of key university departments and individuals.
- Materials for which the donor does not hold the clear title or in which the donor’s ownership is in question or disputed
- Materials that fall outside the scope of the current collection development policy and mission in either format or content
- Photocopies or other alternate use formats of materials held by other repositories
- Photocopies or other alternate use formats in lieu of original source materials
- Duplicates of materials already held by the Archives & Special Collections
- Items in extremely poor physical condition requiring extensive conservation treatment
- Formats for which the Archives & Special Collections does not currently have either the technology or expertise to properly maintain
- Government records of permanent value or other original materials better suited to another repository
Unattended Child Policy
Pursuant to the Reed Library Unattended Child Policy, minors must be accompanied at all times by a responsible adult; unattended children are not allowed in the Archives & Special Collections area based on library and university policy.