How do I manage OnCourse Open Forum subscriptions?
IMPORTANT: You will notice that there are both Open (formerly Moodlerooms) Forums and Forums available in OnCourse. While both will work for discussions, only Open Forums have a grading feature available. In addition, Forums, will be phased out in the near future.
Modifying Alerts About Open Forums Through the Profile
Your OnCourse Profile settings, determine whether Open Forum subscriptions are sent as one daily email digest or as separate emails to you.
- In the top right-hand corner, next to your name, click on the drop-down menu and choose Preferences.
- On the Preferences page, under the User account section, choose Forum Preferences.
- The settings completed here will manage all forums in all courses. There is also the option in each forum to manage individual forum subscription settings.
- Email Digest Type drop-down menu
- No digest - you will receive one e-mail per forum post.
- Digest - complete posts - you will receive one digest e-mail per day containing the complete contents of each forum post.
- Digest - subjects only - you will receive one digest e-mail per day containing just the subject of each forum post.
- Forum Auto-Subscribe drop-down menu
- By default, this setting will subscribe the user to any discussion board that the user posts to. (The default setting is “Yes: when I post, subscribe me to that forum.”) If you do not wish to automatically be subscribed after posting, change this to “No: don’t automatically subscribe to forum discussions.”
- Forum Tracking drop-down menu
- The default for Forum tracking is “No: don’t keep track of posts I have seen.” If you change it to “Yes: highlight new posts for me," this setting will highlight posts not yet viewed in an Open Forum.
Managing Forum Settings Through Individual Open Forums
You may also subscribe and unsubscribe to specific Open Forums, once you have opened them. You may not control how often you are notified about activity, using these steps. (Note that these steps cover ONLY Open Forums, which are the Forum types that we are strongly encouraging, vs. Forums.)
For each of these strategies, you will first need to open an Open Forum.
- Click “Manage forum subscriptions” link in the bottom right corner of the forum.
- In the new “Forum Dashboard” that opens, locate the Open Forum that you want to change. (This screen will display all of the Forums in the course, and is automatically updated each time a new Forum - of any type - is added.)
- Click No next to the Forum to unsubscribe; click Yes to subscribe. If it already says Yes, clicking it will unsubscribe, and vice versa.
NOTE: You can manage all the subscriptions for OnCourse Open Forums in the course from here.
After opening an Open Forum, locate the green gear icon on the upper right hand side of the page. Click on the drop-down menu. If a user is unsubscribed, “Subscribe to this forum” will be listed. Click on "Subscribe to this forum" to receive notifications of new posts in the forum.
If you are subscribed, this block will show Unsubscribe from this forum; if you are not, it will show Subscribe to this forum. Just click to change your subscription mode.
Subscribing to a Single Discussion Thread
Do you want to get activity notices about posts in an individual discussion within a larger Open Forum? For example, assume that you have contributed to two topics within a Forum...you may wish to get email updates about subsequent conversations in this discussion thread.
- Open an Open Forum.
- Locate the discussion threads to receive alerts for in the Open Forum.
- Near the bottom right corner of a thread, look for an envelope image. Do this before opening that post.
Click to change the envelope from gray to orange. OR - if you hover over it - you will see the words Subscribe (for the gray envelope) and Subscribed (for the orange envelope). NOTE: When you click the envelope, you have to move off the envelope to see that it changed to orange from gray (or vice versa).
Email of a Discussion Where
the User Has Not Subscribed
Email of a Discussion Where
the User Has Subscribed
- Choose the alerts you receive carefully. The number of alerts to your email can be overwhelming. And - if you are not “in” your email frequently throughout the day - it would make more sense to set OnCourse for digests of all posts made (rather than getting emails for each post).
- These settings can be easily changed for one or all of your Forums...so it is easy to customize your subscriptions, depending on work flow, etc.
- Remember, Forums is being phased out and only Open Forums will remain. We are encouraging you to use just Open Forums. The directions in this doc coincide with Open Forums, not Forums.
- Students may subscribe to any Open Forum using the same directions.
Short URL to this page:
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.