How do I add a discussion forum into OnCourse?
Discussion forums in OnCourse are called Forums. These can be for simple discussion but can also be graded.
IMPORTANT: You will notice that there are both Open Forums and Forums available in OnCourse. We advise you to choose one type to use throughout your course.
Adding a Forum
Access the course the Forum belongs in and turn on editing.
To turn editing on, locate the green gear icon on the right hand side of the page. From the drop-down menu select Turn editing on.
Locate the section to add the Forum to and press the “Add and activity or resource” link.
Choose Forum from the options and press Add.
Complete the following fields:
Forum name: Add the name that will appear in the course for the students to click on.
Description: This is a good location to place your discussion question and any directions about posting.
Choose a forum type
Standard forum for general use - students will see an introduction text in a separate space above the list of discussions.
A single simple discussion - the teachers posts a question and students are able only to reply. They cannot start a new topic of discussion.
- Each person posts one discussion - each student can post exactly one new discussion topic which everyone can reply.
Q and A forum - Students must first post their perspectives before viewing other students' posts; in addition
**The instructor must post a question to initiate the discussion.**
Standard forum displayed in a blog-like format - An open forum where anyone can start a new discussion at any time, and in which discussion topics are displayed on one page with "Discuss this topic" links
By default, Forums are set to optional subscription. If you would like students to be forced to subscribe, change this to Forced Subscription.
If this Forum will be graded, make the following changes
- In the Grade section choose the category in the gradebook the grade should appear.
- In the Ratings section change the Aggregate type to one of the following:
- Average of ratings (default) - This is the mean of all the ratings given.
- Count of ratings - The counts the number of rated entries which becomes the final grade.
- Maximum rating - The highest rating is returned as the final grade.
- Minimum rating - The smallest rating is returned as the final grade.
- Sum of ratings - All the ratings for a particular user are added together.
- In the Type menu choose Points
- In the Maximum grade field enter in the total value of the discussion board assignment
- Press Save and return to course, or Save and display to enter the Open Forum.
Directions for grading using Ratings are available.
Short URL to this page: https://answers.fredonia.edu/x/tIPeAg