What is a Hero Photo?
- Hero photos are optional and will appear the top of a web page, if you choose to add one.
- The official Fredonia photo library is at fredonia.edu/photos.
- A Hero Photo must be 1600 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall and it must follow the composition rules described in the section below, labelled "How to compose a good Hero Photo".
Step-by-step to add a Hero Photo
In the Drupal page editor, click on Hero Photo to open the first tab and edit the photo.
Click Open File Browser, and select or upload an image you wish to use. Note: the minimum image dimensions are 1600x900 pixels.
Provide Alternative Text for the Hero Photo.
Click Save and Preview to save your changes.
How to compose a good Hero Photo
Hero photos must be carefully composed and cropped to work well in both desktop and mobile devices.
- It is vital that the center third of a hero photo contain all the relevant action and focus of the photo.
- If someone's head appears above the middle third, it will likely be cut off when the web page is displayed on smaller screens.
- A Hero Photo must be 1600 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall.
If you follow these rules for composition, the hero photo will look good on narrow mobile devices and on wide desktop screens: