A. TIMELINE: The deadline for submission to the Departmental Personnel Committee is the second Friday in November. Review dates will be published annually in Academic Affairs Master Calendar
B. REVIEW PROCESS: Sabbatical proposals will be submitted on the Fredonia Sabbatical Leave Request form. Proposals will be reviewed by the faculty member’s Departmental Personnel Committee, following the review procedures defined in HARP II.E.2. The chair, the dean, and the Provost/VPAA add their recommendations, and all documents (including applicant responses, if any) are forwarded to the President, who makes the final decision.
C. REVIEW CRITERIA:
- Sabbaticals will be reviewed in the context of the merits of the proposal.
- The “merits of the proposal” are judged according to SUNY policy objective “to increase an employee's value to the University and thereby improve and enrich its program.” Also according to policy, “sabbatical leaves shall be granted for planned travel, study, formal education, research, writing or other experience of professional value” (“Policies” Article XIII, Title E, sections 1-2).
- Applications must describe the program of study or research, the expected results of the project, and relationship of the project to departmental, college/school, or university strategic goals.
D. APPLICANT RESPONSE: At each level of review, the faculty member will receive a copy of the votes and comments (DPC) or the recommendation letter (chair, dean, provost). The faculty member will have five days from receipt to submit a response to be included at the next level of review. The decision of the President is final.
E. PRIORITIZATION: in the event that not all sabbaticals can be funded in a given year, priority will granted in the following order:
- The project’s potential “to increase an employee's value to the University and thereby improve and enrich its program” and its relation to departmental, college/school, or university strategic goals.
- Time-sensitive proposals (e.g. a pending grant, conference, or publishing deadline, collaborative projects, etc.). Applicants will have the opportunity to make their case if this situation arises.
- Those with the greatest number of years since their last sabbatical leave.
Short URL to this page:
|Get tiny link|